The Kiwi Bottle Drive is New Zealand’s campaign for bottle deposits. We have been working alongside communities, councils and organisations for over 20 years to get a bottle deposit scheme and start building a zero waste society.

On May 2022 the New Zealand Government finished a public consultation on a proposal to set up a beverage Container Return Scheme (CRS) for Aotearoa. We are proud to have helped 4,000 of you have your say.

But now the scheme has been put on hold.

On March 2023 the Government announced the deferral of the scheme, amidst recent budget pivoting. This is a very bad idea.

A beverage Container Return Scheme will have enormous benefits for our community, whenua and moana (land and oceans); higher recycling rates, more reuse/refill, decreased litter, and green jobs for local people. It has been well overdue for Aotearoa.

Urge Prime Minister Chris Hipkins to re-prioritise the scheme.

We have drafted an email template to make it easy for you to urge the PM not to back pedal on this much-needed and long overdue policy. Simply download, update your details and forward via email. It will take two minutes!

  1. View and copy or download the template and update date, sender email address and name of sender.
  2. Email it to c.hipkins@ministers.govt.nz

Why is this important?

After years of campaigning from community groups, waste minimisation experts and with support from local government and the Environment Select Committee, we are so close to finally implementing a Container Return Scheme in Aotearoa New Zealand.

The CRS was de-prioritised based on the argument that it will increase costs to households during the cost of living crisis, but what that misses is that our current recycling system costs more per container than a CRS would, and delivers worse outcomes.

Only 45% of beverage containers are currently being recovered in New Zealand and the other 55% end up as landfill or litter. A CRS could lift recovery rates to 85-90% and shift the costs of recovery onto producers and consumers where it belongs, rather than have councils and ratepayers picking up the bill.